My training in May certainly had its ups and downs.
To start off the month, I ended up getting sick AGAIN, for the third time since February. This certainly brought up a big concern, as I haven’t gotten sick this frequently for as long as I can remember. Additionally, I had four finals over the course of a week, which certainly lowered the priority of my training at that time.
Regardless, I am continuing to see solid gains on the bike. Through repeated threshold efforts and a long tempo ride, my power numbers have kept going up. I’m actually quite excited to see what kind of splits I can ride in a full time-trial setup next month!
A summary of my training is outlined below:
Total: 33 hours (7 hours/week)
Cycling: 19 hours, 261 miles (6 hours/week, 82 mi/week)
Running: 52 miles (12 miles/week)
6 days off, mostly due to finals.
A couple key sessions are outlined below:
- On May 3rd, I did a threshold effort up the hill on Tunnel Rd. I rode the climb in 15:45, with a normalized power of 245 watts [1.02 IF].
- On May 6th, I climbed the hill on Claremont Ave (8.3% grade over 2.6 miles) and did two repeats of the hill on Wildcat Canyon: first in 13:10 and then in 13:00 [240W, 1.0 IF], racking up 50 minutes at threshold.
- On May 20th, I rode for 10 minutes ascending at threshold/vO2max, averaging 250 watts 9 [1.04 IF]. I rode the final six minutes with an average of 268 watts [1.12 IF].
- On May 21st, I rode for 1 hour, 50 minutes of structured hill intervals. First, I climbed the hill on Claremont Ave in 23:15 at 233 watts (0.97 IF). Next, I did two over-under threshold repeats of wildcat canyon:
- 13:12 at 235 watts (0.98 IF), via:
- 2:00 over at 250 W (1.04 IF), 3:00 under at 223 W (0.93 IF),
- 2:00 over at 252 W (1.05 IF), 3:00 under at 223 W (0.93 IF),
- 3:00 over at 253 W (1.05 IF)
- 12:52 at 246 watts (1.03 IF), via:
- 2:00 over at 251 W (1.05 IF), 3:00 under at 232 W (0.97 IF),
- 2:00 over at 255 W (1.06 IF), 3:00 under at 232 W (0.97 IF),
- 3:00 over at 262 W (1.09 IF)
- On May 30th, I did a 4-hour tempo ride, covering 62 miles [4500ft gain] at an intensity factor of 0.80. I rode all the climbs at sweet-spot power [0.88-0.92 IF], producing 80+ minutes at this intensity. Normalized power was consistently at 0.80 from start to finish, leaving me exhausted (but still in control) by the end of the 4 hours.